For so many years, the Vancouver territory was the home to local individuals who thrived on the abundance of woods & waterway.
In May 1792, an American merchant/mariner Robert Gray turned into the main non-local to go to the legendary “Incredible River of the West,” that is the Columbia River. Soon thereafter, British Lt. William Broughton, who served under Capt. George Vancouver, investigated one hundred miles upriver. En route, he named a state of land on the shore in order to pay tribute to his officer.
In 1806, the American travelers Meriwether Lewis & William Clark stayed outdoors at the presently Capt. William Clark Park situated at the Cottonwood Beach only east of Vancouver upon arriving the arrival leg of their celebrated western undertaking. Lewis portrayed the range as “the main wanted circumstance for settlement which was west of some Rocky Mountains.”
In 1825, Dr. John McLoughlin chose to shift the northwest home office of the Hudson’s Bay Company from Astoria, Oregon to a more good setting upriver. He named the site after Point Vancouver on Broughton’s unique guide. Post Vancouver was along these lines conceived.
For a long time, Fort Vancouver was the focal point of all hide exchanging the Pacific Northwest from its fundamental area on the Columbia River. Vancouver became likewise a central area of British domain over the Oregon region. In the year 1846, American control became stretched out north to the 49th parallel. The northwest was now a piece of the U.S & the Hudson’s Bay Company shifted north to Victoria, Canada.
In 1849, American troops touched base to build up Columbia (later Vancouver) Barracks. It filled in as military central command for a significant portion of the Pacific Northwest. The neighboring settlement was called “the City of Columbia.”
At long last, on January. 23, the year 1857, the City of Vancouver became consolidated. Through the remaining century, Vancouver consistently created. In the year 1908, the primary rail line east via the Washington part of the Colombian River Gorge reached Vancouver. In the year 1910, a railway line was launched
south over the Columbia. In the year 1917, the primary road of the Interstate Bridge became complete.
Amid World War I, a site later to wind up named Pearson Airfield was the region of the world’s largest spruce cut-up process. It cut crude timber into the wood used to manufacture the planes that helped win the war in Europe. Amid World War II, Vancouver’s Kaiser Shipyard manufactured an assortment of
artworks that contributed significantly to America’s war exertion.
The City of Vancouver strive to renew Fort Vancouver National Site. Illustrations incorporate reestablishing Officer’s Row structures, the city likewise bolsters the Clark County Historical Museum, possesses Esther Short Park, the most established open square at the Pacific Northwest, the Slocum House, and Covington House and makes verifiable interpretive and workmanship shows over our group.