Eating Disorders Round Table
A Speaker Series Offering Education and Discussion
about all Things Eating Disorder and Body Image
Are you interested in learning more about eating disorders or disordered eating from professionals who specialize?
Are you concerned you have an eating disorder and want to learn more about what help you need and who can help you?
Do you provide services to those with eating disorders or disordered eating and want to learn more about how to best support them?
Then you have come to the right place.
We are professionals who treat people with eating disorders, disordered eating, and body image concerns. Our goal is to provide a space for folks to learn about topics related to these issues and to come away with information and ideas for improving your relationship to body and food.
Once a month, we will provide you with a highly valuable, informational presentation with a speaker who has expertise in this field (e.g., therapists, dietitians, and physicians). You will learn about a variety of topics on this subject and have a chance to ask questions.
These meetings are open to anyone interested in learning more about eating disorders, disordered eating, body image and related concerns. This might include those struggling with eating disorders, those in recovery, those who know someone with an eating disorder, or those who treat people with eating disorders.
We want you to feel safe to attend! It is a foundation of our work that this be a safe space for all. In service of this value, we have ground rules that will be covered at each meeting:
- One person talks at a time
- Use “I” statements that refer to you and your experience, not assuming others feel as you do
- Be respectful of diversity in all expressions of differences
- No rescuing… if someone is having feelings or expressing themselves, let them
- It’s okay to be quiet or share… i.e. be yourself
- No advice giving. If you do respond to someone, say something that shows you understand them, not want to fix them
- Stretch yourself to learn and grow
- We don’t talk about weighing or diets or weight
- Be aware of your assumptions about weight, bodies and food, and allow your assumptions to be challenged
Some of the topics we will cover include:
- Understanding Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders and Emotion
- Body Image
- Health At Every Size (HAES)
- Why Diets are Not the Answer
- Eating Disorders from a Medical Perspective
- Supporting a Loved One with an Eating Disorder
- Eating Disorders and Body Image in Adolescents
- Eating Disorders in the LGBTQ Community
Round Table #1
Surviving Thanksgiving: An intimate setting to gain tips from a therapist and dietitian and get your questions answered
An intimate panel presentation on the challenges of managing a holiday centered around food. Two therapists and a dietitian will offer tips and strategies to get through the day in a way that works for you. Please bring questions about your specific Thanksgiving situation.
Speakers: Anne Cuthbert, MA, LPC, LMHC; Suzanne Manser, PhD; Kate Webb, BS, RDN
When: November 13
Where: Tabor Space 5441 SE Belmont Street, Portland, OR 97215
Round Table #2
Topic: Intentional Holidays
Join me for a presentation about creating intentions instead of resolutions this holiday season. Whether you want to shift something about your relationship with food, with yourself, or with your life, I will offer specific suggestions about making meaningful intentions that last past the first week of January.
Speaker: Suzanne Manser, PhD
When: December 11
Where: Location TBA